Thursday, July 7, 2011

Your Audience Reluctantly Speaks

Today, my self-proclaimed 26-year-old nephew (read that as 14-year-old) will share his views on what makes a good book.

It may have been more or less like pulling teeth to get him to write this. But since I said pretty please with sugar on top, he caved. What can I say? I'm the cool aunt. Okay, okay. The almost-as-cool-as-their-other-aunt aunt. Aunt. And one more for good measure, aunt. Sounds totally weird now, doesn't it?

Okay, enough fun. On to the wise words of my nephew, a.k.a. Zeke:

The kind of books I enjoy to read are the kind that have lots of fantasy and action. They need to have some realistic characteristics. One of my favorites is “FABLEHAVEN” by Brandon Mull.  His series is very good and enjoyable, they are easy to get into and to continue reading them. Sometimes it is hard to stop reading, and you end up reading two or three more chapters than you wanted to.

12 comments:

Angela said...

Your son is smart. I look for those qualities in a book as well.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Yup, I look for those qualities in books too - and I also try to write them into mine. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are excellent qualities to look for in a book.

Wise words indeed.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Thanks for the review, Zeke! :) I hope you're having a great time in France, Janet.

Amy

Margo Berendsen said...

Yay for kids who love fantasy! I love Fablehaven too. I keep planning to read some more of those books.

Missed Periods said...

Yep! It's the best when they're easy to get into and you don't want to put them down.

Amie Kaufman said...

Ha, that's definitely when you know you've found a good one. When you look up and you realise you're past where you meant to stop!

Connie Arnold said...

That's a good review from Zeke. Good thing you are such a cool aunt, Janet!

Anonymous said...

Love the insight! Stories that are easy to get into are always the best. :)

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss janet! hey zeke! cool review! one of my blogger friends sent me a set of three of those fablehaven books. youre right you just gotta keep reading til your eyes get tired out cause you just gotta find out whats gonna happen next. for sure there lots of exciting stuff in those books.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

These are wise words! Thanks, Zeke!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I love books that make me want to keep reading all night too. :)