Monday, December 2, 2013

What I learned from NaNoWriMo

So NaNoWriMo is finished and amazingly, I won! I finished with 50,176 words written by Nov. 29th.
 
I first heard of this event about six years ago when a critique partner of mine told me about it. I'll admit, I thought the whole thing was nuts! Why would anybody kill themselves to write 50K words in 30 days, in the month of November no less? Thanksgiving alone makes the idea insane (and I also happen to have my anniversary this month, too).

But when I found myself with a novel all outlined and my last WIP scheduled to be to my agent by the end of October, I decided to give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I simply wouldn't win. So why not give it a go?

As it turns out, NaNoWriMo was very educational. I learned all kinds of things, which I'm forcing on sharing with you:

1.      I write better in the morning. I'm sure everyone is different, but when I found the time to do it first thing, it was always easier. The words came faster and better, I wasn't as distracted, and I could enjoy the rest of my day, guilt free.

2.      Having a more detailed outline really helped. I hit this point where I knew I had outlined, but apparently I hadn't written it down, or perhaps I'd written it on some scrap that I couldn't find. Point is, the writing slowed down enough that I stopped for a day to outline. Things went much smoother after that. (Did I ever stray from the outline? Absolutely. But I could just adjust it as needed.)

3.      Leaving myself a note at the end of the manuscript when I finished writing for the day saved SO MUCH time! I'd simply put a note in brackets to remind myself what I planned to have happen next. I didn't have to search my outline to remember where I was. I didn't have to reread everything I'd written the day before. And as a bonus, it plopped me right into the mood of the story. The days I forgot to do this, I really regretted it.

4.      I can write more than I think I can. There were a few days on my schedule that were so packed full of things I needed to do, I was certain that I couldn't do any writing. Amazingly, when I organized my time, scheduled it all—including writing time—it somehow all fit. I had to be diligent. I had to avoid Facebook and Twitter. But it WAS POSSIBLE.

5.      Pushing through the void helped me find my voice. When I started, I just couldn't find the voice. It was awful, the writing was awful, but I knew I couldn't afford to wait for my muse or I wouldn't meet my goal. As it turns out, pushing through helped me find it. Will I have a ton to revise? YES! But I always do. Even when I have the voice from the beginning. Forcing yourself to write ugly words can lead you to the better ones.

Despite my qualms with this whole event, I am now I convert. I learned so much about me and how I write. After 30 days of this boot-camp, I feel like a better writer. Admittedly, I'm not promising to participate next year, BUT . . . I plan to use this writing method to write the first draft of my next book (which I plan to do much sooner than November).

So how about the rest of you? Did you participate in NaNoWriMo? If yes, what did you learn? If no, think you'll ever try it?

9 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Huge congratulations!!! And you finished a day early too!! Well done you!!

I totally see about having an outline first! When I did this last year (year before? I can't remember! LOL!) I just went for it and the result continues to be a horrid, horrid mess! LOL! Take care
x

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's awesome! Congrats! I did not win, but I would do it again--especially after reading your post now! LOL

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Woo-hoo! Congrats to you, Janet! That is awesome! I did NaNoWriMo once a couple years ago, but got derailed by the Thanksgiving holiday school vacation... One of these days I'll try it again, but for now I'm sticking with PiBoIdMo :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Congrats! I finished up on the 26th so we could leave for out of town...not sure what I wrote that night, but am fairly certain it was not the finest. Hopefully there is a good idea or two in there! Enjoy the reviewing!

Kimberly said...

That is so cool that you tried it out and learned so much. I always think the way you thought about taking time out of November to write a novel. I also have an anniversary in Nov. and with Thanksgiving being my fav holiday, the whole thing seems impossible. :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on completing NaNo!

MikeS said...

This confirms it. You are crazy.

Marcia said...

I'm glad it worked so well for you! I did July's version, and I'm really not cut out for NaNo, I don't think.