Monday, November 26, 2012

Feeling Lucky


To state the obvious, I didn't post last Monday. What with the Thanksgiving frenzy that starts at least a week before the actual day, it just didn't happen.

We had family coming to celebrate the holiday with us, so that meant it was finally time to shrug off my writer's mantra (being: Write first, clean later). Yeah, that was a good thing. My floor even got mopped. Laaaaa! (*read that: heavenly choir bursts into song*)

Anyway, they came and we talked, watched movies, played games, made a farce of going outside (with the freezing wind), and ate WAY too much---turkey, stuffing, cheese, gravy, potatoes, pies (and I know some of you are thinking that the cheese doesn't really fit on that list, but let's just say you don't know my husband and his brother!). In short it was wonderful.

And I was feeling all kinds of grateful for everything in my life. Just like the license plate I saw:

MI LUCKY

In fact, I've been thinking a lot about this, lately. I do feel lucky. Lucky to have a hard-working husband who loves me. Lucky to have 3 beautiful kids who are still happy to hold my hand and give me hugs. Lucky to have wonderful extended family including in-laws I love. Lucky to have a job I can do from home. Lucky to have writing in my life. Lucky to have an agent. Lucky to have so many friends scattered all over the world (many of whom I've never met . . . and uh, yeah, that would be all of you guys!). Lucky.

The thing is, my life is not perfect. In fact, far from it. I have struggles and hardships. Bad things happen to me and to people I love all too often (and uh, read that as understatement). I worry that I make wrong decisions (and I'm not talking the red-shirt/blue-shirt kind). I worry that I don't do enough for others. I worry that I don't keep in touch with my friends and family enough. And on and on.

But I still feel lucky.

Because I think "luck" (or perhaps a better word is "blessings") is there for the finding. Even in the hard stuff. It's just a matter of looking.

What do you guys think?

9 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Awwwww so glad you are surrounded by love and luck!!! Yay! Take care
x

Anonymous said...

It's so good to pause and take stock. Even amid the hard stuff, there is so much to feel "lucky" (or grateful) for!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and that you have much to feel lucky about even amidst the other stuff. You are right - so often it's about how you look at things.

LTM said...

I think that's a terrific way to look at life! And it's perfect for Thanksgiving. Glad to hear you had such a great visit with the fam. We had a pretty great visit, too. No draaama. :D xoxo

Connie Keller said...

Glad you had such a lovely time with your family!

And it's great to find your blog. I'm now follower 430.

Stina said...

Great post, Janet. It's better to feel lucky with all the great things we've got, than wonder why we don't have X and X. :D

Anonymous said...

Love this post, Janet. I want to share a quote I read this morning: "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life." I think you feel lucky (or blessed), because you are so grateful for the good in your life. :)

Marcia said...

Exactly right, and I call it blessings, too. Wonderful post.

Shallee said...

I think "lucky" and "blessed" are pretty similar. :) And I think we all have things that are lucky in our lives-- we're all blessed in some way!