Monday, November 9, 2015

A Sad Little Library and a Call For Help

Those of you who know me well know that my parents left on a religious mission just over a year ago about a month after they retired.

Before retirement, my Mom was an elementary school principal and my dad was a high school engineering and science teacher. So it was only fitting that in their service, they went to work in a high school on a tiny island in the Pacific called Kiribati.

While their main purpose is to train the teachers and help them pass the certification testing (Mom and Dad, correct me if I'm wrong!), they also do all kinds of other things such as helping students fill out applications for college, judging school competition events, overseeing the computer lab, and most recently evaluating the school library to determine its needs.

This last duty is what I wanted to talk about to you today.

You see, the state of that school library makes me sad. They sent pictures, and I want to share those with you. This first one is a picture of their fiction book shelves:

Oh my goodness, just so much emptiness.

And not only are the shelves empty, but many of the books they have aren't age appropriate and are falling apart.


Now, I love the Berenstain Bears, and I love Madeline, but they are not the books I would choose to put in a high school library.

This is not something I could let go. I read their blog post early Sunday morning, and I couldn't stop thinking about this library.

It didn't take long to decide that my family and I would work together to collect some books and send a package. But you saw that picture. The package we could send would make nary a dent in the library's needs.

And then I got to thinking that maybe others would like to help, too. Because you are my people. You understand how important books are. You understand their power and influence. You understand the impact a book can have on a teen. You understand how important it is to offer a wide variety of books to get our youth on that path of reading. You understand the satisfaction that comes from finding that book . . . the one that speaks to you and changes your life.

And that is why I'm asking for your help today. There are several ways you can help:

  1.  If  you have any gently used or new books that would be appropriate for middle or high schoolers and which you would be willing to send to me, please contact me using the Contact Me tab above (or just click on that link).
  2. If you don't have any books to send, but would be willing to donate money to the cause, I have set up a GoFundMe account. I will use any donated funds to both buy books and help pay for the shipping costs (which are HUGE). Even a dollar donation will make a difference!
  3. If you have no extra money or books to share, I totally get that. I have been there (man, have I been there). What you can do is spread the word! Share this post on twitter or facebook. That would be a huge help!
I plan to send a shipment (or 2 or 3 or however many I'm able) at the beginning of December in hopes that they will arrive before the start of their next school year (Jan/Feb). 

Seriously, if you can't help, please don't feel even the teensiest bit of guilt. We can't all do everything, and there are a lot of great causes out there. I appreciate that you are here reading my blog post, and I appreciate your friendship.

Thank you for listening, now go forth and have a great day!

4 comments:

mshatch said...

Those ARE some sad shelves! I'm glad you shared this and I will do the same as well as look through my books and see what I can bear to part with.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Janet .. what a great post for the school library - reading adds so much to our lives. I'm sure people will help and I can go to the GoFundMe account to donate a little ... as I live over the pond ... all the very best to your parents and you for spreading the word - cheers Hilary

Misha Gerrick said...

Such a great cause. Will definitely spread the word. :-)

Melissa Sarno said...

That is a sad little library. I donated what I could. Have you considered posting in the MG and YA Binders groups on Facebook? I know a lot of writers have extra books they might be willing to donate.