Thursday, January 19, 2012

This is SO Not My 850th Post

Flipping through my Blogger Dashboard yesterday, I happened on Elana Johnson's post, titled: What Does One Blog About for Post #850? (For the record, we're not related. We checked. Still, I fondly think of her as my amazing little cousin.)

So wow. That's a lot of posts. And that's a question (minus the #850 part) that I (and other bloggers, I'm quite sure) ask all the time. So today I give you my list of what to blog on when you've got nothin'.
  1. Share a Personalized License Plate (duh!).
  2. Piggyback off someone else's blog post (clever, that).
  3. Find a picture and make a post out of it. (Joanne at Whole Latte Life is excellent at this).
  4. Share an embarrassing moment from your life.
  5. Share a favorite quote.
  6. Share an inspirational moment from your life.
  7. Do an "Awards" post. You know all those awards floating around, right? Surely you forgot to pass one of them forward. And if you didn't really get one, just pretend. Who's going to know, right? ;)
  8. Make up your own award and give it to someone.
  9. Spotlight your favorite blogger.
  10. Spotlight one of your heros.
  11. Let your readers ask you questions that you promise to answer truthfully (a blogging-world favorite).
  12. Talk about the people-watching you did at the grocery store (or from your front porch if you're in a pinch).
  13. Comment on a bit of news you read/heard.
  14. Close your eyes then open them. Now write an essay on the first physical object that you see. You can talk about how it inspires you. (ex: Toothbrush. How inspiring that a toothbrush works day in an day out and wears itself out just to keep you from getting gingivitis).
  15. Tell a joke.
  16. Comment on a favorite movie (bonus if you relate it to writing).
  17. Tell a cute kid story.
  18. Tell about that time that you lied to your mom about hitting that baseball through the window, then blamed it on your . . . oh wait. Mom, I totally did not do that. Really.
  19. Start a story and ask your readers to each add a sentence.
  20. Post a picture of yourself when you were young. Be sure to include a funny story about yourself.
  21. Share a song that inspires you.
  22. Have a contest/Give something away.
  23. Videotape yourself doing something crazy (why, I do believe that's called a vlog!).
Okay, okay. I'm going to stop there because I can hear that snoring back there. Yeah, I mean you! So what do you do when you've got nothing?

21 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I let Charlie do the talking and the cute overload! :-)

Yay for your 850th post!!!!

Take care
x

KamilleE said...

Ooh! Thanks for the really handy list!

I'm always finding myself stuck for ideas. I tend to take a day or two off and relax and then blog about that lol!

GAWD, 850 is a lot! I'm not even at 50 haha!

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm at 450 posts, which is nowhere near as amazing as Elana, but I still have no idea what to write about most days, so this is awesome.

Tracy said...

That's it, I am so copying & pasting this list to reference later on. I hate when I completely draw a blank and can't think of anything to post.

850? I can't even imagine how anyone (Elana or otherwise) could pull that off.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Hehe, great list! Usually, if I've got nothing, I just don't post. :)

I think I'm reaching my 560th post. Not 850, but I'm getting there. :)

Slamdunk said...

Every blogger needs a list like this.

It is a good thing that I have an unending list of my stories related to your #4.

Colene Murphy said...

It's really nice to know other BIG bloggers out there struggle with what to write about too. ^_^ Makes me feel less dee-tee-dee about it. GREAT suggestions.

Vidya Sury said...

Loving this list, Janet! And 850 is a LOT of posts. Congratulations! :-) I am going to add to this list and link up to you!

Cheers!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

What do I do? Well NOW I'm going to use this post with it's handy list! :)

Beth said...

What a great list!

When I've got nothing, I usually leave it to the last minute, then come up with an inspiration out of panic.

Anonymous said...

First I want to say, CONGRATS to Elana for 850 posts! That is a LOT of posts.

Janet, thanks so much for this wonderful list of ideas. I'll definitely refer back to it when I'm stumped.

What do I do when I don't know what to blog about? I usually share links to other blogs that I find interesting. This week I haven't blogged. I'm working on getting caught up on my blog reading and next week I'll be back to blogging.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Janet - want to come over to my house and play? I have bucket loads of ideas here .. and I could do with a friend to help me sort, write and store my milling masses of ideas.

There's quite a few thoughts here ..

Good luck .. it'll get easier as the dark days disappear .. cheers Hilary

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I excel at #2. ;)

Angela McCallister said...

Love this! I should make a collection for when I'm stuck on what to share. I half-think this is why I can't stick to a darn schedule to save my life. I always wait until something strikes me out of the blue.

Victoria Dixon said...

Usually end up posting something lame. LOL Thanks for the list!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Well, if I had nothing to post about, I'd probably write a post giving ideas for other posts when I had not ideas. Uh ... wait. Doh!

Just kidding, Janet. Actually, that video taping idea sounds great! Maybe I'll do that one. ;)

No, seriously, this is an awesome list. I might need to favorite this and refer back regularly.

Carrie Butler said...

Me? Tch! I never run out of things to post about.

*Secretly bookmarks this list...* ;)

Vidya Sury said...

:-) Yup - I got that - I meant 850 posts (Elana)- awesome!

Clara said...

This is brilliant, absolutely loved it. Specially since I've been lacking inspiration lately.
Great post!!!

Anonymous said...

I usually always have an idea, but if I'm stuck I post some music videos.

I love this list. Now I have plenty of ideas.

Have a great week.

Emily said...

Next time I've got nothing, I'm going to head back here and check the master list. You could write forever, lady!