Monday, October 10, 2011

Rockin' 2011 Debut Author Spotlight: Lisa and Laura Roecker

When Christina Lee suggested we band together to spotlight some of our favorite 2011 debut authors, I knew right away I wanted to spotlight Lisa and Laura Roecker who debuted in March with The Liar Society.

Fabulous book!

Here's the blurb from their blog:
 Best friends don't send emails once they're dead. With her dead best friend's pearls and skirts tiny enough to make Nancy Drew blush, Kate's on the trail to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...

I revel in brevity, so I give you Three Things I Loved about The Liar Soceity:
  1. The pink hair. This is not just an outward description of Kate (the MC). It's all part of the mystery of what happened and how it affected her. (I believe this is called Depth.)
  2. The mystery. It starts on page 1 and doesn't let up. I wanted to solve the mystery as much as Kate! And the clues? How cool that they show up in her email.
  3. The tension. It is no easy feat to fill every page of a book with just the right balance of tension and believability. Let's just say that I stayed up late to make sure Kate was okay. Laura and Lisa (just wanted to change things up there) rock at writing page turners.
In short, I can hardly wait for book 2!

To share the love, I'll be giving a copy away to one lucky commenter. You have until Sunday, 16 October 2011 EST to enter. So comment away (and please make sure I have a way to contact you in case you win)!

P.S. Feel free to stop by Christina's blog for the list of everyone who's spotlighting an author today.

33 comments:

Stina said...

I loved the book, too. It was nothing like I was expecting based on the cover. Goes to show you, you really can't judge a book by it's cover. :D

Creepy Query Girl said...

The Liar Society was one of my favorite books last spring! Great pick!

Theresa Milstein said...

I still haven't read this book. I must pick it up! Thanks for the reminder.

Christina Lee said...

GREAT post--and I agree (the pink hair does add depth--who knew?)!

:-)) THX for participating!

Melissa Sarno said...

Great spotlight! I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't read this book yet but I've been reading and loving the Roecker sisters blog for years now!

Jemi Fraser said...

I really enjoyed Liar Society too - can't wait for the Lies that Bind to be out! :)

KamilleE said...

Is this like Gossip Girl meets Sherlock Holmes or something? Sounds like a fun read.

I want pink hair now! Well, maybe highlights. Temporary.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I love that it's like a modern Nancy Drew.

Unknown said...

Yet another story I must get to! Thanks for spotlighting it today.

Abby Fowers said...

That may just be the worlds most perfect blurb. So pick me! Pick me! What a great spotlight! I love stuff like this.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I loved Liar Society. I can't wait for their next book to come out. Lisa and Laura are just adorable...

Lindsay said...

I loved this book, too. And I so wish I could pull off the pink hair! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome book! I would have never even known I wanted to read it before your spotlight. Thanks!

~kelly

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I love the author spotlight idea! Going to go check out Christina's list! And I haven't read the Liar Society but it sounds great, so I'd love to win one :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I absolutely LOVED this book!!! Great choice, Janet! :-)

Patti said...

I haven't read this one yet. I'll be adding it to my list.

LTM said...

supercool rec, CUF! I actually haven't read this one yet, but it looks too fun. I'll get it~ :o) <3

Anonymous said...

I keep hearing such great things about this book. It keeps moving up my list.

tracy.dickens@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I keep hearing such great things about this book. It keeps moving up my list.

tracy.dickens@yahoo.com

Kristin Rae said...

this one is on my list! what a great idea to give one away!

kristinrae023(at)gmail.com

lisa and laura said...

This made our day! Thank you so much for featuring Liar Society! We're so thrilled that you enjoyed the book!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

So cool! So many of my friends are doing this blog fest. It's awesome!!

Of course I want to read this book!

Amy
a2sonnichsen(at)gmail(dot)com

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I already own the book, so I'm not entering, but I LOVED it. :) Can't wait for the next one!

Anonymous said...

Looks like I need to add this to by growing TBR list today! My daughter had pink hair for awhile...although kind of cute, I'm glad those days are over!

Carolyn V said...

I can't wait to read this book! Lisa and Laura are so cool.

Unknown said...

This was one of my favorite books of the year, too. You capture it very well!

Oh, and hi! New follower. :D

Maeve Frazier said...

I haven't read this book and I can't wait to read it.

Dawn Simon said...

Lisa and Laura rock. Great post! :)

Missed Periods said...

What a wonderfully supportive idea. I love it.

Amie Kaufman said...

Who could have missed all those great pink-haired avatars on twitter when the book launched? I'm hoping to score a copy for Christmas (unless the comp's international, and I score one here!).

Angela said...

Liar society was truly an awesome book. I liked how it kept me on the edge of my seat.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Liar Society is waiting in my to be read pile. After this wonderful post, I'll be moving it up to the top of the stack to read ASAP. Thanks, Janet!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

That's an excellent review you gave :) The Liar Society sounds fascinating. And I too love pink hair.