Monday, September 29, 2014

In Which the Ten-Year-Old Takes Over

Today, I am going to turn my blog over to my ten-year-old. He is a devourer of books, and tells me he could talk about books for days and days. So without further ado, here he is:

I find books very fascinating because they are able to take you to places you wouldn't be able to go in real life. And when you are focused on a book, it starts to come alive in your mind. Pictures soaring through your thoughts. Personally, I prefer realistic fiction, and fantasy, and historical fiction.
I also enjoy mystery books. A to Z Mysteries are especially enjoyable. I find it quite interesting because in the mysteries they start asking the questions about who it could be and then they take their thoughts into an experiment and go through it like the scientific method.
My favorite book is called ICE FIRE by Chris D'Lacey which is the 2nd book of the Last Dragon trilogy. It is a very enjoyable book and when you read it, it feels like you are entirely swept away to another world.
For generations a family has created clay dragons that live and breathe fire. They can create these dragons because they are descendants of the last dragon. Then one day, a young boy comes to them as an exchange college student, and he discovers their secret. Later on during ICE FIRE, a witch tries to force the family to create her a real dragon, unlike the clay ones. The young boy is caught up in an enchantment by this witch and has to find his way out and save the day.
The reason I like ICE FIRE is because it doesn't reveal everything that's going on in the beginning. It kept me turning pages because I wanted to find out what was going on.

What is your favorite book? Why?

7 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Great post! The ICE FIRE series sounds like a great one. I bet my 10-year-old son would like it. He just finished book 4 in the WINGS OF FIRE series. He loves that one.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Great blog post!

Your first paragraph reminds me of the poem by Emily Dickenson:

There is no frigate like a book
To take you lands away ...

I'll let you look the rest of it up for yourself! :)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Had to come back to tell you that your son sold my son on this book series. He wants them all. LOL

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Wow! Ice Fire sounds good! I haven't read it. I don't think I can pick just one favorite book - that's too hard a choice :) Great job with the review!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Janet - am I allowed to tell your son he's handsome?! Or will I get a wry smile and a hidden face?!

It's amazing he loves to read - but your son .. he will have a great guide ...

Lovely first post and Ice Fire does sound a great series .. cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

Janet, your son did a great job as a guest blogger. It's always nice to hear what the young people like in books.

Marcia said...

Fantastic post. Especially since "what's your favorite book" has got to be one of the hardest questions to answer!