Friday, June 17, 2011

In Which I Ponder About a License Plate. (Again.)

Yesterday, I saw a license plate that caught my interest:

IH8SK8S

I know, you're probably thinking, "Hmmm . . . she must be in pretty desperate need for some entertainment," but bear with me.

Most license plates I see state something about the driver. Whether it's a name, fan status for a sports team, a reference to something they love (sports, cars, hobbies, hats, whatever). In essence, these personalized 8 letters reveal something that the driver deems to be significant in his or her life. It characterizes him or her.

So why use the opportunity to tell people what you hate? It's what you are not instead of what you are. Really, it's an anti-characterization.

As a writer, my brain went into overdrive to create the backstory for this driver. But before I share MY made-up backstory, I want to hear yours.

WHY does this person hate skates so much???

P.S. And on a blogger business note, starting next week, I'll be cutting down to only two posts a week for the summer. M/H

17 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I wonder if he has a long scar across his cheek from a blade or grew up in a family of hockey players and he wanted to only dance ballet!

Stina said...

Wow, until you said skating, I didn't get it. I kept reading SK as the province next to mine (Saskatchwan). I'm thinking her mom FORCED her to be a top figure skating and her life fell apart from the pressures to excel.

Joanne said...

I know that in my case, a good fall on the ice when I was little kept me off the ice ever since then ... I did not like that experience!

Patti said...

I like Stina's explanation. They must have some deep rooted problems with skates.

Patti said...

I like Stina's explanation. They must have some deep rooted problems with skates.

Patti said...

I like Stina's explanation. They must have some deep rooted problems with skates.

Patti said...

I like Stina's explanation. They must have some deep rooted problems with skates.

Along These Lines ... said...

After my encounters with gravity, I hate skates (roller and ice) too.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Cause she's clumsy. Like me. :)
Or.... whoever it was got jilted by a skater. Always possible.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the person hates skates because they can't stay on them. Maybe they are always falling on their behind.

MikeS said...

Maybe it was just a funny rhyming thing.

Anyhoo, got another one for you. Saw this the other day. A giant Hummer with the license plate "LELLOW". And I bet you can guess what color the Hummer was.

Rosalind Adam said...

Or maybe she had a sister like mine who used to pick me up on my skates and put me in the middle of the yard so I couldn't hold on! When I was a kid our first car number plate was CRY. The second car we bought was SOB. Pure coincidence so maybe this driver just didn't notice the skates reference!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I think she wanted a Barbie doll one Christmas, but got a pair of ice skates instead, and since her family lived in a very small desert down with no rink. . . .

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

PS: Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting and following.

Missed Periods said...

Well, it might be my mom's autobiography. We just bought her roller skates for her birthday, and on her debut ride, she fell on her bum. That was a month ago and apparently it's still a little sore. She might H8 SK8S.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

LOL! I was reading posts backwards because I was trying to catch up after my trip ... if I'd read this one first I would have known the poor skate hater wasn't you! :)

Amy