Monday, January 2, 2012

My 2011 Reading Habit

Last year, I didn't set a goal for a specific number of books to read, but I did set a goal to keep track of what I read. I think I mostly succeeded. Though I might have missed one or two. Anyway, my total?

84 books read in 2011, and here's the list:
  1.  Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
  2.  Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdoch
  3.  The Janitor's Boy by Andrew Clements
  4.  Song of the Lioness: Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce 
  5.  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Alexie Sherman
  6.  Leaving Fishers by Margaret Petersen Haddix
  7. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald
  8. Feed by M.T. Anderson
  9. Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman
  10. Ivy's Ever After by Dawn Lairamore
  11. Judy Moody was in a mood by Megan McDonald
  12. Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park
  13. Dogs Don't Tell Jokes by Louis Sachar
  14. The Last Holiday Concert by Andrew Clements
  15. Crash by Jerry Spinelli
  16. Judy Moody Gets Famous! by Megan McDonald
  17. Judy Moody Saves the World by Megan McDonald
  18. Judy Moody Predicts the Future by Megan McDonald
  19. Crispin: The End of Time by Avi
  20. Revenge of the Snob Squad by Jane Anne Peters
  21. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
  22. Judy Moody Declares Independence by Megan McDonald
  23. Children of the Lamp: The Five Fakirs of Faizabad by P.B. Kerr
  24. A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
  25. The Thirty-nine Clues: Black Book of Buried Secrets by Rick Riordan et al.
  26. Sabotaged by Margaret Petersen Haddix
  27. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney
  28. Judy Moody: Around the World in 8 ½ Days by Megan McDonald
  29. Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: The Glitter Girls and the Big Fake Out by Meg Cabot
  30. Junie B. Jones and the Monkey Business by Barbara Park
  31. Charlie Bones and the Red Knight by Jenna Nimmo
  32. The Secret History of Tom Trueheart by Ian Beck
  33. Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth by Barbara Park
  34. Junie B. Jones and some Sneaky Peaky Spying by Barbara Park
  35. Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake by Barbara Park
  36. Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: Blast from the Past by Meg Cabot
  37. Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: Stage Fright by Meg Cabot
  38. The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
  39. Tom Trueheart: The Land of Dark Stories by Ian Beck
  40. In the Hand of the Godess by Tamora Pierce
  41. The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker
  42. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
  43. My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison
  44. Possession by Elana Johnson
  45. Junie B. Jones and that Meanie Jim's Birthday by Barbara Park
  46. The Thirty-nine Clues: Vesper Rising (book 11) by Rick Riordan et al.
  47. Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under her Bed by Barbara Park
  48. Junie B. Jones Is Not a Crook by Barbara Park
  49. Junie B. Jones Is a Party Animal by Barbara Park
  50. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  51. The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian by Lloyd Alexander
  52. Wings by E.D. Baker
  53. Junie B. Jones Is a Beauty Shop Guy by Barbara Park
  54. You Wish by Mandy Hubbard
  55. Chronicles of the Red King #1: The Secret Kingdom by Jenny Nimmo
  56. The Thirty-nine Clues: Maze of Bones (book 1) by Rick Riordan
  57. Much Ado About Grubstake by Jean Ferris
  58. Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy by Barbara Park
  59. Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard
  60. The Missing, Book 4:  Torn by Margaret Peterson Haddix
  61. The Morpheus Road: The Black by D.J. MacHale
  62. Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara Park
  63. Junie B. Jones is (almost) a Flower Girl by Barbara Park
  64. Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in her Pocket Warren by Barbara Park
  65. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
  66. Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
  67. Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
  68.  Junie B. Jones is Captain Field Day by Barbara Park
  69. The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce
  70. Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine by Barbara Park
  71. Junie B. Jones is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park
  72. Junie B. Jones, First Grader (at last!) by Barbara Park
  73. Junie B. Jones: Boss of Lunch by Barbara Park
  74. Junie B. Jones: Toothless Wonder by Barbara Park
  75. Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers
  76. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
  77. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
  78. Matched by Ali Condie
  79. Crossed by Ali Condie
  80. What Happened on Fox Street by Tricia Springstubb
  81. Mo Wren, Lost and Found by Tricia Springstubb
  82. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
  83. Junie B. Jones: One-man Band by Barbara Park
  84. The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall
Fyi, I didn't record any of the picture books I read. That would have tripled my list or something, but I DEFINITELY count them as books read. 

Also, you might note a large portion of my list is from the Junie B. Jones series. I'd never read it, so I decided to rectify that. For research, of course. ;)

And I didn't record any of the books I started and didn't finish. There were a few of those. Still, this is a pretty good representation of my reading habit. Very MG-centric. Perhaps I should diversify a little more this coming year, no?

So how do our tastes compare? Any books you'd recommend for my 2012 reading habit?

P.S.  I hope you all enjoyed the holiday season!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 84 books! Congrats. Now if only I could read that much. . . ;) Happy New Year!

Kenda Turner said...

Wow, that's alot of books! My list for the year topped out at 47, and that was an increase over the year before :-) Recommendation? You might like Sharon Creech's "The Unfinished Angel." A sweet book...

Melissa Sarno said...

Wowsa, I am impressed! I read Wrinkle In Time this year too (for the first time). I never realized it was a whole series...

Slamdunk said...

Nicely done in 2011. The Mrs. loves the Junie B. Jones series.

Emily said...

I love the idea of keeping track of the book you read throughout the year. I might have to steal that!

Happy New Year!

Old Kitty said...

I'm still scraping my jaw off the floor! I am in super duper AWE!! WOW!! Look at all these lovely jubbly books!! Well done you!!

Take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! x

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a lot of books! I didn't see Hunger Games on here. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend the book.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did a lot of reading in 2011. Congratulations! For YA, you might like to read An Abundance of Katherines. It is a bit edgy but entertaining all the same. And it is written by a male and the MC is a male character which is re-freshing for YA fiction.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I tried for 100 and didn't quite make it - read about 70. Much more YA-centric. I did read Matched, Crossed and Across the Universe this year like you did though - loved them all! - and I read A Wrinkle In Time as a child and am currently half way through Possession - so some similarities to your list!

Lindsay said...

Yay for the awesome reading list there! I read 45 books this year, but I'm aiming for more this year. My list are more YA orientated, but I'd recommend the Vampire Academy series if you haven't read them yet.

Happy New Year!

Vidya Sury said...

Great list, Janet! I should make one too. My Mom always did and I'd tease her about it, but now when I see them, I wish I had too!

By the way, your blog LOOKS terrific in a very want-to-come-back-often kind of way.

Thanks so much for your comment on my post at Emily's blog!

Happy New Year, and eager to check out the books I haven't read :-D

Carolyn V said...

Wow! That is a serious book list! Way to go Janet! I hope I can get some books read this year. Even if it's only a handful (fingers crossed that it's more). ;)

Sophia Chang said...

I really need to get into the Alanna series! 84 books - are you fast reader? I'm sooooo slow.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

What an impressive list--so many great books. I still haven't calculated how many books I read in 2011, but I doubt I reached 84.
Happy reading in 2012!

Jess said...

An incredible list! I really need to start keeping track of the books I read. You've just inspired me to put Junie B. Jones on my TBR list~ I've been wanting to read those for a long time. My list is pretty MG-centric right now, too :)

WritingNut said...

Oh my goodness.. congratulations!!! That is awesome :)

Happy New Year Janet! I wish you all the best!

Kristen Wixted said...

Hi there, nice to meet you. Finally got around to following you back (you followed my blog recently).
I like your blog!
Good nov with the 84 books AND with keeping such tidy track of them AND not losing your list.
I know that can be hard to do with three kids around.
See you around...;)

Kristen Wixted said...

PS I noticed your profile picture there. I am friends with Oscar the Grouch's daughter (He is also Big Bird). Totally cool, right???
Melissa doesn't mind if I brag. ;)
Maybe I should do a blog post on her...you've given me an idea!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

woo! THat's a list! I had a good reading year too at 81!

Jemi Fraser said...

So many good books on that list! :) I actually haven't read Junie either - one of these days... :)