Friday, April 9, 2010

Road Trip!

We've been meaning to go since Rob and Tiff moved there nearly 4 years ago, but with crazy schedules, newborn children, etc. and all that, it hasn't happened. I kept waiting till I could go with my dear husband (since it is his brother after all), but Rob and Tiff move next month, and the realization hit me it would never happen.

So with London's Spring Break last week, I braved the roads alone. 11.5 hours of driving with me and three kids. Yes, I am brave. ;)



We had a blast! This picture really captures it. Brandt with his boundless energy and refusal to be contained.

We got to try award-winning Chicago-style pizza. Can I say, yum? YUMMM! (And alas, I took no pictures) The crust is a little like pie crust, and the toppings and cheese go in next with the sauce, and a sprinkling of parmesan on top. So talk about cheese! Thick, gooey, yummy, fattening layers of it. If your mouth isn't watering, it should be. Seriously, don't miss this if you go to Chicago.


Speaking of cheese . . . London found and conquered the moon. Chicago is certainly a city of possibilities.

We also went to the Aquarium (thanks Jason and Diana!). The boys (and I) loved it. I'd never seen a shark up close. Or dolphins. While I'd seen penguins, it was still fun to watch them up close. Actually, in both the dolphin and penguin habitats, there were people working (cleaning windows for the penguins, and who-knows-what scuba diving for the dolphins). So of course, London and Brandt, instead of saying, "Wow! look at those dolphins/penguins." They were saying "Mom look! I saw a person!" Too funny.



When Brandt noticed the snake, he backed away. It was HUGE.

The boys had a blast climbing on and attacking Uncle Rob, and he was great to put up with it. Brandt cried when it was time to go home. Poor kid. Khyah, too, loved Aunt Tiff and Uncle Rob. And I must say, it was nice to have people to pass her off to (not that I don't LOVE holding her, of course, but breaks are nice).


On the way home, we took a detour through Decatur, IN to see Aunt Claudia and Uncle Ed (even if it was only for a couple of hours). The boys thought their house was the bomb! (And it is, too). So much fun. I think the lego room still calls to them in their dreams. Some day.


Yes, we were all a little wiped out by the time we got home. Thanks everyone for letting us invade and share a little of our craziness. :)

6 comments:

betsey said...

Claudia and Ed just LOVED seeing you guys! She told me repeatedly how nice it was to see you. Glad you got to make the detour!

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Wow! You are brave :) I'm not sure I would take the girls on a long trip without Chris. Sounds like a great time though. It's so nice to be able to stay home and take care of, and spend time with our kids!!

thepainterfamily said...

What a great trip! That pizza sounds AMAZING, and it's been far too long since I've had pizza in Chicago!

Rob and Tiff said...

We LOVED having you guys come visit. Thanks for making the long drive by yourself so we could hang out with you for a weekend.

Leanne said...

congrats on making the trip safely and sanely. Decatur IN brought back memories--we used to attend the Decatur Branch in an old Baptist(?) church. Primary was in the basement and I always thought it was fun going down the stairs to Primary. Thanks for sharing pics.

Janet Johnson said...

Leanne, then you must have known my aunt's family: the Gimbel's? They've been there forever. But maybe it's been too long. Such a small world though, isn't it?