Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Circus!

We splurged and took the kids to the circus tonight: Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus. Overpriced junk toys, overpriced food, lots of elephants, and magic galore. We had a blast!


London loved the Boom! of the human canons. Brandt was excited about the horseys and zebras. Rick liked the clowns. Khyah enjoyed watching the people behind us. And I loved watching my boys get so excited about everything. I wasn't sure how they'd do, if they'd make it through the show, but they did. And they're already asking to go back. Actually, Brandt didn't want to leave. Cried the whole way home: "Turn around daddy! Go back!" (Seriously.)



I confess though, I spent a good portion of the show wondering what would inspire a person to join the circus. I mean, sure, it's exciting, and everybody loves the circus, but how do you even go about joining? I bet for some, it's a family thing, but they can't all have inherited the circus gene, right?


If I were to join, I'd want to be the person who got to ride the elephants. It was really cool, they trained the elephants to lift up the rider with their front leg to help them mount. Awesome blossom.


So, would you ever join the circus? And what would you do there? Clown? Sheet-gymnasticker? Tiger trainer? Dancer? An invisible handler (the ones who wear all black as they bring stuff on stage)? Swing acrobat? A pooper scooper? So many options!


6 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

Janet!!

I can't wait to catch up with your family via blog!!

I haven't been to a circus since I was a kid, what a great time!

Unknown said...

Whoa! I have a friend who joined the circus (seriously!!!). She loved working with horses, but could find a job no where other than with Ringling. After visiting her on the road, though, there's NO WAY I would join--her living quarters were TINY. I mean...tiny. My kitchen pantry is as large as her train apartment was.

MikeS said...

I always think about taking the kids when the circus comes to town, but have yet to avoid the inevitable gasping when I see the ticket prices.

I'd be a tight-rope walker. That pretty much describes my life anyway.

MikeS said...

...and of course Rick liked the clowns best.

Janet Johnson said...

Yeah Mike, we got the tickets at half price. Still, I agree!

Beth, how interesting! (and thanks for stopping by). I have to agree with you. I couldn't really do it. But on the bright side, talk about motivation to de-clutter. :)

Tara, yes, I'm so glad we can stay in touch this way!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.